Wednesday, February 8, 2012

i think the Buddhists call it Karma...

You know how parents often tell their children, "I hope you have a kid just like you..."  As much as we would like to pretend that our parents are wishing us nothing but well-behaved children, I think we all know what they are actually referring to is the exact opposite. So, here you go, Mom.... MY kid following in MY footsteps:
This is how the story has been told to me. It has been told to me for as long as I can remember. And every time it is told, my parents drive home that fact that it was such an embarrassing moment and I think it is just a cute story...you know, so funny, the way kids can act in public sometimes... -- Approximately 30 years-ish ago, my cousin was going into Voluntary Service and my parents and I attended her "sending-off" service. Apparently this was at a church. A church filled with people we didn't know. And apparently no one else was talking. It was quiet. Very quiet. And then a little girl piped up "But don't you wanna go home??!"  Apparently the little girls parents were embarrassed. Very embarrassed.
Fast forward. February 3, 2012. My little family attended the Northridge basketball game to participate in the fundraiser for Sammy. It was right before the Varsity game, we were surrounded by a room full of people we did not know, and the gym had quieted enough to hear a pin drop as the choir prepared to sing the National Anthem. Enter my normally quiet 3-year-old who has a new obsession with cheerleaders. She looked to her left where the cheerleaders had been and, with a look of panic, exclaimed (at a volume I have certainly never heard her speak before), "Where da cheerleaders??!?!"  I. Was. Mortified.  So, I quickly covered her mouth and whispered into her ear, "Right there, EE. They are right in front of us."
"Oh! I just couldn't see their faces!"

.... so funny, they way kids act in public sometimes....


2 comments:

  1. I missed it! I bet it was adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, that's reassuring! if you didn't hear it, maybe the rest of the gym didn't either :)

    ReplyDelete